Day 4

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Finally some cross country skiing!

We woke up this morning to more snow! We went over to the Olympic Sports Complex where the wind was howling and the snow was falling. I think when we got there the temperature was a whopping 9 degrees Fahrenheit!

My Great Uncle Jim gave Carrie a refresher course on how to ski. As part of the lesson we went to the top of a small hill and then explained how to snow plow to stop. Angela and Carrie completed the small hill with ease, but for whatever reason, I got tripped up and fell for the first time on skis in who knows how long! Yes I admit I fell!

Jim then lead the way on a simple trail through the woods that was only about 1.5km/.93 miles. It was a good trail and long enough to make us hungry! The scenery along the way was great especially with the fresh snow on all of the trees.
After we ate, Angela and Carrie went out around another trail that just went around the Nordic stadium, while Jim and I went out on a longer trail. By the time we got back from our 1.5 mile treck the temperatures had dropped, the sun was starting to go down and the girls just got back from theirs and were ready to go. It didn't take any convincing to get the rest of us on board to just head back.

We decided to go out for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Mr. Mikes which has some of the best pizza! While at dinner we decided the weather was not permitting to go to a neighboring town for first night festivities. When we left dinner the temperature was -1 and the windchill was -17!! We figured the New Year would come in just as well from the TV as it would in the freezing temperatures with frost bite.

As a special treat I have a video of Carrie on cross country skis! :)


ps. So Angela and Carrie have been doing this wedding workout the last couple of nights that they found on DVD. Each night I usually sit here on the couch and watch then while I blog and try not to laugh at them. Tonight however I gave it a whirl and tried what they have been complaining about for the last couple of nights, and I must say, I am sore now! These workouts don't include weights, don't include machines, but it was a workout, and good grief I'm ready for bed! Just have to stay up a little bit longer to bring in the New Year, and after midnight, I'll be getting married this year! :)!!!

0 comments: